The No. 7 Challenge pits runners against a massive steam engine in an epic 10KM race for glory. Join a legion of other runners each attempting to take on the No. 7, a completely restored 1929 Baldwin ex-logging locomotive, as it travels through the city and surrounding forest.
Held annually, this race begins at the historic Port Alberni Harbour and finishes at another treasure of Alberni Valley heritage, Mclean's Mill. Register today to see if you have what it takes to beat the train in the 4th annual No. 7 Challenge.
Date: Sunday, May 1st, 2016
Starting Line: Train Station @ Harbour Quay
Finish Line: McLean Mill
Registration Fee: $40.00 - INCLUDES TRAIN TICKET BACK FROM MCLEAN MILL *FIRST 160 REGISTRANTS ONLY.
NOTICE: AS OF TODAY, APRIL 26TH THE TRAIN IS NOW FULL FOR THE RETURN TRIP FROM THE MCLEAN MILL. WE CAN MANAGE ADDITIONAL REGISTRANTS BUT BE ADVISED THAT TRANSPORTATION BACK FROM THE MILL WILL BE VIA BUS.
- Registration Packages NOW Available at the Alberni Valley Chamber of Commerce - Visitor Center located at 2533 Port Alberni Highway as you enter the city.
- Registration Packages will ALSO be available on Sunday, May 1 at the Train Station located at 3100 Kingsway at the corner of Kingsway and Argyle Street - UpTown Port Alberni.
- Registration pick-up from 9:00am - 5:00pm Daily at the Visitor Center
- Registration pick-up from 7:30am - 9:30am Sunday, May 1 at the Train Station.
- Parking is available at N/C at the Train Station itself or in nearby lots. Street Parking is also readily available in the area.
- PLEASE DO NOT PARK WITHIN THE HARBOUR QUAY AREA ADJACENT TO THE TRAIN STATION.
- Race starts @ 10:00am Sunday, May 1st just meters from the Train Station.
- Race ends at McLean Mill - National Historic Site located at: 5633 Smith Road - Port Alberni
- Back Packs can be placed on the train and will be secured by Volunteer Staff: They will be marked with your registration number for easy identification at the mill site.
- We recommend that you have some cash available for lunch purposes as the Food Truck at McLean Mill can only accept CASH
- On Site at McLean Mill during your stay will be: Refreshments by Save On Foods, A Local Band for your entertainment, Classic Cars, BC Horsemen are participating so expect to see some of them, Our Gift Shop Will be open and the Mill itself will be operating from 11:00am through 1:00pm for your enjoyment, Walk the Coast - our Title Sponsor will be on hand to help give out awards and provide information on their services.
- All Participants will receive a Gift Bag courtesy of Walk the Coast AT the McLean Mill upon arrival.
- T-Shirt Sales will be available at the Visitor Center before May 1, at the Train Station prior to the start of the race on May 1 and also at the McLean Mill site.
- Folks Beating the Train will be acknowledged and several other awards will also be distributed.
- All Participants receive a Train Pass for the return trip which is currently planned for about 1:30pm arriving back at the Train Station at about 2:05pm (It's downhill on the way back....!)
- Upon return to the Train Station please venture over to the quaint Harbour Quay area and take in the Grand Opening Day's events at the new West Coast Aquatics Aquarium. YOUR BIB NUMBER WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH FREE ENTRY TO THE FACILITY.
- LATE REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED RIGHT UP UNTIL DEPARTURE OF THE TRAIN HOWEVER TRANSPORTATION BACK ON THE TRAIN MAY NOT BE GUARANTEED. SHOULD YOU PLAN ON PARTICIPATING AND NOT BE CURRENTLY REGISTERED WE SUGGEST THAT YOU FIND ALTERNATIVE RETURN TRANSPORTATION: ie HAVE SOMEONE PICK YOU UP AT THE MILL SITE.
In order to ensure that arrangements can be made for all participants, including race bibs, and complimentary return train passes from the finish line at McLean's Mill to the starting line at the Harbour Quay, we require advanced registration.
Registration can be purchased through RaceOnline.ca here
along with train passes for spectating family and friends. Registrations for our participants includes a train pass for the return trip. The McLean Mill site also has ample parking for those who wish to bring a vehicle to the site in advance of the run.
Notice to Athletes who registered BEFORE January 30, 2016. Your registration will not necessarily show up on the Race On Line Listings. Not to worry! If you've registered WE HAVE your information. If you wish to confirm please feel free to contact us.